Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Hoyt Park

For this operation, I rode over the hill to another local park, about 1.6 km from home.  It's one of the highest spots in town, and was the site of W9YT field day operations when I was in college many, many years ago.

Once again, the 11.5 m fishing pole and end fed 40 M half wave went up in a few minutes.  The conveniently located flagpole held the line on the far end, so I didn't have to worry about anyone getting tangled up in it.  One city worker, cleaning up trash during the CWT, did try to carry off my counterpoise.

Mosquitoes were ferocious, thanks to recent rains.  I'm not going to even think about doing an 03Z CWT outside until after the first frost.



Antenna and Station



Transport

Unfortunately, Sol wasn't cooperating today:


Geomagnetic Storm!


RBN didn't look hopeful.  I usually get a lot more spots than this:

RBN


Signals were weak but, surprisingly, I ended up with 41 contacts and 35 mults.  Alas, this time F5IN couldn't hear me, and I never heard F6HKA or UR5MM.  The west coast was also conspicuously absent.  I think this location has real potential under better conditions.

Still, great fun.  Thanks for all the good ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment