Friday, August 12, 2016

Equipment


For those who are curious, here's a description of the equipment I've been using on the bicycle portable operations:


KX1, Paddle, Spare Batteries, Tools, Solder

The KX1 runs on four 800 mAh 3.6 Volt lithium-ion cells, with a linear regulator to limit the voltage to 14 Volts. This results in an output of 4 W on 40 meters and 5 W on 20. I carry a spare set of batteries, but one set is more than enough for 3 hours of operation. I have a small charger, which can charge two cells at a time, but I don't take it on short trips. I cover the power switches on the KX1 with tape when it's packed up, to prevent accidentally discharging  the batteries.


EFHW Tuner

The tuner is my own design, roughly based on the Pacific Antenna BLT+, using many of the same parts. It can match up to 6,000 Ohms on 20 and 40 with less than 1 dB of loss.

I'd be glad to share the design of both the KX1 voltage regulator and the tuner.


Antenna and Counterpoise

The antenna is a 21 meter wire, supported about 5 meters from the far end by the 11.5 meter pole. (Hence the safety pin.) The spools are about 70 mm (2.75 inches) in diameter. The one for the far end, the shorter wire, also has a long length of monofilament line on the spool, so I can attach it to a far object or, if necessary, a stake in the ground. The longer end goes to my operating position, where I attach it with more monofilament line to whatever is handy, usually the roof of a shelter. Sometimes I have to put in a tiny screw eye. The end just hangs down to the tuner on the table.

The counterpoise is just a short wire, about 2.5 meters. (The high impedance of the end fed half wave means not much of a counterpoise is required.)

I modeled several types of antennas using the 11.5 meter pole, and the 40 meter half wave looked like the best for 20 and 40 meters. It seems to work quite well.



Other Antenna Stuff

The flagging tape is for when that far line goes to the ground, to keep people from running into it. There's also a bunch of spare wire and fishing line. If I need to repair an antenna, I can solder it with a match and that piece of solder in the tool kit. The electrical tape is probably the most useful thing in the kit. Of course, I also have a pocket knife and the usual bicycle touring tools.

All but the Pole (1.06 kg)



11.5 Meter Fishing Pole

The carbon fiber fishing pole weighs just 600 grams (1.3 pounds), extends to 11.5 meters (38 feet), and collapses to about 80 cm (32 inches).  I've found it infinitely easier to use than trees. I can put it where I need it, it goes up fast, it's lighter than the EZ-Hang, and I don't have to tangle with thorns, poison ivy, or ticks. It's also less likely to get me arrested than the slingshot.  I put it up with three guys and tent stakes, the guys attached to the pole about 2 meters from the ground.



Typical Antenna Installation



With the pole the whole operation weighs about 1.7 kg (3.7 pounds).  The only things I haven't included are the logbook and crosscheck sheets.  If I ever find an iPhone app, I'll eliminate those.


Transport

It all goes on the bike with the rest of the touring gear.  Everything but the pole takes up about a third of one pannier, while the pole gets lashed onto the rack with the tent and sleeping bag.  The pole sticking out the back doesn't cause any problems. In cold weather, bigger and/or more panniers are required.



7 comments:

  1. Nice setup. For a portable antenna, I've had excellent luck on all bands from 40m up with the 35' W1SFR end fed antenna. I've made A:B comparisons between this and many other simple antennas. While it can't beat a resonant dipole, it meets or beats all other types of end fed antennas I've tried. Ed/K8SZN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't tried it, but the coax and unun would add too much weight. Another problem is that, compared to the half wave, the lower feedpoint impedance means more current in the counterpoise, which is just wasted power. Also, the half wave puts the high current part of the wire higher, where it radiates more effectively. With a good tuner, the impedance doesn't matter, so the antenna can be optimized for radiation.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you have boiled it down to essentials. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should have said... Gary Stone, N5PHT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice setup. The pole is an ideal size for traveling by bike. 73, Craig WB3GCK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! What was your source for the pole and the spools? Thanks, Ron W6AZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pole from:

      allfishingbuy.com

      Spools from Amazon:

      PEPPERLONELY Brand 20PC Empty Plastic Spools For Beading Wire Thread String 2-6/8 Inch

      Delete